About Learning Streams
The Strategic HR Academy has six streams supported by courses, study groups and discussion forums.
Six Learning Streams
The six learning streams focus on key areas of the strategic HR agenda supported by closely related courses. Learning stream discussions cover all related courses.
Strategic people management has been the main focus of HR for over 20 years. Despite this, many HR practitioners and teams are still unsure what it means or how to undertake it. This stream examines the topic and its role within four important contexts.
- Competitive advantage through organisation capability
- Digital transformation for HR
- Sustainability (CSR/ESG) and HR
- Innovation and HR
- Customers (CRM) and HR
Focusing on the business is necessary but not sufficient. Strategic HR success is provided by focusing on people and creating an environment in which people can optimise their contribution to the business. This requires people centricity to underpin all of our approaches.
HR relies too much on best practices, and many of these practices are not fit for today’s purposes. The courses in this stream review how key HR processes and practices can be updated for new needs, often based on new technologies, and how these approaches can be further adapted to meet the needs of an individual business.
- Performance management re-engineering
- Reward innovation: transformation vs timid tinkering
- Learning and development for skills-based success
- Employer branding through organisational differentiation
- Recruitment reframed as talent and capability acquisition
Organising people to undertake work is just as, if not more important than managing and developing them. Despite this fact, Organisation Design often receives much less attention than other areas of HR. The courses in this stream cover best practices and best fit opportunities to optimise people’s contribution at work.
- Organisation design for modern, compelling and effective working
- Process design in both HR and the business
- Role and job design for good work and higher productivity
- Contingent and gig working – HR’s role with Procurement
- Hybrid workspace design – HR’s role with Property, FM, Digital and IT
Organisations are complex adaptive systems and need to be developed holistically with a focus on people and relationships to be fully effective. This stream will review opportunities for systemic development of teams, groups, networks and the whole organisational system.
- Culture change – what and how
- Organisation development for systemic change
- Teams and teaming: high performance for the new world
- Community management and cultivation
- Network and ecosystem brokering
HR can only achieve the benefits described in the other courses / streams when we have organised and developed ourselves. This stream therefore reviews opportunities for developing our approaches, organisation, relationships and project / change management approaches.
- Strategic partnering to improve HR credibility and contribution
- HR transformation for creating value
- Business relationship management skills
- Agile HR working: projects, programmes and products
- Change management and HR’s leadership role